Monday, December 10, 2018

Angels Cry (A Mother's Love)


Very few experiences in my life have been as painful as my mother’s death, over five years ago. In fact, to this day, I’d argue it has cemented itself as perhaps THE most anguishing of them all. And though she may be gone, I very much remain the same mama’s boy I was when she was alive. Not to say that we didn’t have our disagreements (many of which were major), or that we didn’t have any serious rough patches, because those were plenty, it’s just that I remember reaching a point in my adolescence (particularly when I almost committed suicide and she was away in Michigan with my Grandmother helping care for my Aunt who was first diagnosed with cancer) when I realized how irreplaceable she is, and just how much I really need her. That pivotal point back in 2009 was to refine my abysmal perspective for good. And I couldn’t be happier looking back knowing that it had to happen.

You see, my mother was not without her flaws, faults, and imperfections. But please understand when I say: she was a fucking saint. Yes. I said it. And I meant it. Not only that, but she had what appeared to me as impenetrable strength, coupled with a heart that truly knew no bounds. Her love and devotion were works of art, and her loyalty and dedication were mere marvels. Her smile and laughter provided so much hope in even my most despondent moments. Her hugs and kisses were literal medicine. 

I can’t quite iterate just how much she hurt me when she died; how taking ALL of that away from me and the family in a matter of months, leading up to the very seconds right before she inspired her last breath, shattered something within me that I don’t believe I’ll ever be able to piece back together. Even a whole five years later, I can’t believe just how I ever got this far knowing that I can’t call her anymore for council, life advice, or to simply hear her talk. And it is such an ongoing process, learning how to live with the fact and [it] NOT "getting easier with time," as too many say. Because that’s just it–It doesn’t really get easier. At all. You just have to learn to adjust.

I used to dream about her almost every night when she first died. Now, I’m lucky if I see her sporadically. I knew back then that there were places she had to go that we as a family would never be able to understand or answer until perhaps we ourselves pass away. And it transformed so much of my own life and understanding of it that from that point on I knew I would never be the same again. Some of the deepest and most profound truths found their ways into the cracks and voids of my being she left when that fateful day came.

And as with most everything else, I found that writing about her makes everything a bit more feasible to digest. Through my mother’s death, I was able to exorcise a lot of the emotions that really drowned out much of the light within me, because most of all, it killed much of that same hope her smile and laughter used to give me. Through writing, I was able to share with her and the powers that be my cognitive processes, siphoning every earthly feeling I could through the ends of my pen in an effort to heal so much of what has been broken. I didn’t even know I could harbor such copious amounts of hurt.

I’ve since become a much better writer because of her. It has inspired some of my darkest work: things I would never give myself the opportunity to even come close to acknowledging impertinent to her demise, revolutionized ways of thinking and seeing the world, but ultimately, a more grounded and truer, more appreciated way of loving those around me. Because who knows what the future holds? I never would have imagined as a child that I would have lost my mother at such a young age. But life comes at you fast. And as it goes, she taught me and my family that even in death, the ties that bind can never be broken, even in spite of the fact. That even though her death came so early, there’s STILL so much life left to live, whether here on this earth as we currently are or somewhere else out into a realm we’ve only yet to truly ever know, where she is. And until that day comes, I suppose I can rest easy knowing that. 

Until that day comes, I can live the rest of my life understanding and honoring it, above all else.



Reki*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mer Boy

There isn't much I can think of in life that compares to the experience of being an effeminate male, in poise, disposition, and outward ...