Sunday, January 16, 2011

When Envy Transposes

I don't wanna hold claim that I started a trend over here in Springfield, MO, but it seems as if more and more aspiring musicians have made it known that they wanna make music, ever since I boldly and publicly spoke on it years ago. This is all besides the point however, but ties into what I am about to say.

Okay, so there are a handful of people I either know personally or that I only know of that have been making attempts to break into the music industry. I've noticed that a lot of them come from a family of money (or at least more money than myself); with that being said, they've been able to create actual studio demos, have professional photo shoots done, play a show at this place or that place, etc. And for awhile there, I was beginning to feel a bit of jealousy, to be completely honest, towards these people. Because they were getting noticed before me. And A LOT more recognition, at that.

I used to tell myself that it wasn't fair, because I'm just as talented as them, if not more (I'm not stating I am per se). Regardless, I would pout and ask what about ME?

Then it came to me. Why not ME? Exactly. ME. I've since learned NOT to worry about those that may be getting a better start than me, because at the end of it all, if I know I'm gonna make it, like I say I do, because I do, than it won't matter the situation.

They can have all the money in the world. Good for them. I don't need that to get noticed. All I have is my talent. My raw talent. No demos, no head shots, no nothing. Just me. I've always been lower-middle class. But you know what? I have enough ambition and BELIEF to fill a whole stadium.

I've conditioned myself to think of it all in a different light. Instead of envying that person for what they have already, I congratulate them and try to be happy for them. And I'm doing a good job thus far. Because I know that soon, I'll get my chance. I'll get the opportunity to show ALL OF YOU just what I'm talking about when I say: "I like to think I'd make Freddie Mercury proud" or "I can do Beyoncé better than Beyoncé can do Beyoncé" (as a joke of course).

Some of it is my fault though, for not putting myself out there as much as them. But still, I think my story will be that much more inspiring, because I am WORKING FOR EVERYTHING. It's all me. I'm not using anyone else's money but my own.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I think I'd much rather get a good head start in Hollywood, CA anyway. I mean honestly, there's nothing here. Why worry?


Reki*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mer Boy

There isn't much I can think of in life that compares to the experience of being an effeminate male, in poise, disposition, and outward ...